Monday, June 1, 2015

Dead-wood Dispatch June 1 2015

A new week a new shipment of comics to look forward to. When I worked for Comics and Comix and Amazing Fantasy in SF every Wednesday was like Christmas and it kind of still is, its just Christmas on a budget. So this is my weekly suggestions based on my actual pull list hopefully kept to a budget of 20.00 given that is what I attempt to stick to. I start the list with my choice for the book I would not do without and finish up suggesting a recent collection since I know some people prefer their comics in larger doses and sometimes they are better that way....

 

The Wicked + The Divine # 11

So I posted about this one last week and got the shock when I looked at the actual sips list and its was not there. So I'll say this again about The Wcicked + the Divine that the title has been a slow burn character centric story and Gillen is very good at building the tension and giving satisfying reveals even is I'm still confused. Perhaps is lay out or the ominous undertones but since the early issues this has reminded me of the early days of the old Ennis title Preacher. I have no clue as to where this book is headed but I'm so happy to take to trip along with Gillen McKelvie Eilson and Cowles. A must even if its a week late. $3.50

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl # 6

Given last issues laugh fest I would be remiss if I didn't have Te Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Doreen mentioned in my pull list. I am strangely so happy to now have such a range of books to,choose from these days; books that are creepy, books that focus on adventure and books that are fun and funny. Ryan North's other comic triumph Adventure Time I've been checking out and been surprised by the depth of character I have found in these places I didn't expect it. Book like this have reawakened by interest in the diversity of stories out there. Squirrel Girl is an excellent break from all the grim and gritty eventhough its mired right in the middle of it. Its worth the $3.99 for me compared to other things out there right now. It may not be your thing but prehaps it is and you just haven't tried it out for size yet...

 

 

There are a few other book comics out this wee that I may pick up including Secret Wars #3 which is kinda likely and Omega Men issue 1 since I have such fond memories of the old book from the eighties but we will have to see....

And for the more collectively minded...

 

Velvet:The Secret Lives of Dead Men

I'm reading this right now and am quite enjoying this sixties era British spy story. The book follows the experiences of agent Velvet, a female spy relegated to desk duty. She misses the fied and as the book opens she's framed for a crime that puts her on the run trying to out the ones who betrayed her. This book picked up on the story revealing in images and words how she feels about being sidelines and how she feels about her onetime bosses and partners. It also follows the investigations they are doing to find this woman on the run supposedly. Reading this with little now ledge of volume ine has not been an issue as the characters are so well defined, conceived and drawn by the creative team. This is the group that made bringing back Bucky Barnes one of the best concepts that I so so poo pooed back when I heard about it and I loved so so much and still do. This is a great book and I don't know what drugs I was on when I passed on it after reading issue one. Ed Brubaker knows how to write great modern spy fiction and this shows him at the top of his game I think.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment