Monday, November 9, 2015

Dead-wood Dispatch Comics pull list Nov 11 2015

It's another bit if a calm week where I have some books that are the new shiny that may tempt me but the books I really want are pretty solidly great books and I can always get the others sometime as there will be plenty of them about. I try to keep this list to a budget of twenty and I'm getting better about keeping to the dispatch list in reality.... I am curious if anyone would like me to follow up with what I actually bought....

 

 

 

Zodiac Starforce #3, the Wicked and the Divine #16, 8House #5

So what is this, I usually pick a book I can not pass up and this week these three books all for their own reason fit that bill as the must have for me (but really everything on the list is kind of a must have). Zodiac Starforce Kevin Panetta and Paulina Ganucheau' love letter to the magical girl genre is a must as I have a soft place in me heart for those manga/animation friendship drama costumed superhero mashups particularly with a solid female cast. The story really hit the ground running as they sadly only have four issues at the moment and I'm hoping sales will get another outing for Kim, Emma, Molly and Savi as the girls and their brightly colored dangerous world is somewhere I have come to look forward to visiting. There s a collection coming on the heels of the end of the mini series but don't wait if you like series like Sailor Moon, Utena, Ms Marvel or Batgirl so so check this out. $3.99.

The Wicked + the Divine #16 This book usually figures high in my list but this issue is particularly a draw as its a story illustrated by Leila Del Duca who is about my favorite artist as she can do so so many different styles and what more it's th story focusing on the Morrigan... the more goth then thou god. Each of the commercial suicide issues has built on our knowledge of these curiously compelling characters and this intricately wrought story of celebrity and power and somehow managed to forward the story all the same. We now know who the heavy is but I have nought a clue as to how this story may in fact end. Kieron Gillen actually may be my go to writer for drama right now in comic terms. I may have to even buy both covers. $3.50

8house #5 Yorris 8house is an odd series as its not something I can pigeonhole and that is a good thing I think; it's an anthology of possibly related fantasy/science fiction stories curated by the mind behind Island Brandon Graham. Yorris was a brilliant surprise as I had no clue as to how much I would love the issue from Fil Barlow and Helen Maier but for me it clicked and it's something I have to see more of. Of the 8house stories this one also delivered some background on how some of the stories may fit together into a bigger picture. This is a book that anyone who loves the darker side of fantasy, more existential fantasy should give a read. $2.99

 

Ultimates #1

The Avengers book that I got the most enjoyment out of before the end of the old Marvel (i.e. Before the all new all different...) was Mighty Avengers written by Al Ewing and this is the spiritual successor to that book. It picks up with the Blue Marvel and Spectrum who were mainstays of the old book and adds America Chavez from Young Avengers, Black Panther and Captain Marvel pretty much grabbing many of my favorite characters in recent memory. In addition it promises to be a big idea book, a cosmic level book and seems to be sporting some pretty glorious art from the previews I have seen. I will probably have to choose to support only one marvel team book given Powerman and Ironfist is on the horizon among others so this is the one I have to choose even though I'm tempted by the other new Avengers book arriving soon too. Oh and the promise of the big purple guy on the cover being in the initial outing does not hurt either. $3.99

Codename Baboushka #2

I really enjoyed some of the characterful scenes that played out in the initial installment of this spy/assassin series starring an anti-heroine last month. It's kind of a version of the Blacklist if Red was a woman at least a little or a flip on the Bond story as its derived from that tradition. The art is a mix of western comics and Japanese manga that somehow makes it its own thing and this is one of the books that gives you something extra with the backmatter section including essays about the action genre from a woman's voice. I love the way that Anthony Johnston of The Fuse and Shari Chankhamma who colors the Fuse and does a heat job with the art here have this book set up to be a series of yearly stories about the woman called Baboushka giving the idea there is more to look forward too without the pressure of a regular monthly that can lead to burnout. The first issue treated us to a lot of action and intrigue and I have hopes for a lot more. Oh and the b cover for this issue is also done by the above mentioned Leila Del Duca... $3.99

 

 

Descender #7

Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen's survivor tale about a boy robot names Tim continues finally after the big reveal in the final issue of the first arc that revealed that the AI technology is something other then what we had been lead to believe and introduced us to a new big wrinkle in the science fiction watercolor story that is Descender. This is a SF take that I think is going to be doing a bit of interweaving of mysticism and mythology and though it's nothing like the superhero tale that was Tetsuwan Atom I think a lot of the feeling of the story is reminiscent of that amimation and manga classic. Given how good this book is I find it odd that I don't see all that many people writing about it, perhaps this arc with its new characters and direction may hook more readers to it. In addition to Plutona this is think is the Lemire book to look at these days.... $2,99

 

And that just tops twenty one dollars... Crap well at least it's close. Beyond these the creators behind the Thought Bubble Anthology 2015 have me pretty much hooked into picking that up and the artist fo All New All Different Wolverine made sure I will at least look through that and oh I think All New All Different Avengers may also be on the shelves this week...

There are lots of good books every week so what do you think needs more attention.....?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment