Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Dead-wood Dispatch Comic Pull List last one for 2015

It's been a pretty brilliant year for comics all around and the first year in a long time I went to a comic con and it was really great fun I expect to repeat in years to come. Anyhow here's how this list goes I attempt to keep to a twenty dollar budget of books to reccomend and it has to represent a list that I'm actually buying this week. I start with the book I absolutely must have to be followed by the remainder... And as this is real late this go round here we go...

Ringside #2 $3.99

So though this book kinda ties with the next one but I have tog ice the lead and highlight spot to Joe Keating and Nick Barber's squared circle drama Ringside. Issue one introduced the players in this film noirish version of professional wrestling and set up the multiple storylines both in and out of the ring that Joe intends to follow. As someone who has been an on again off again fan of professional wrestling during my life in apparently much like Joe himself and at similar times and a fan of noir generally this title is kind of a slam dunk in terms of being a thing for me but wether your and old fan or not the relationships in this the drama, the violence both high flying and not so for entertainment value I think will hook you too. It's a small week so it's possibly a time to look outside your normal thing....

Anyway I dig it...

Rat Queens #14 $3.99

Ok I love this book and it's fond memories of how I would love to remember my fantasy role playing days regardless of how they really were. Fans of the sarcastic tone of shows like Supernatural with their dropping of geek references among serious and not so serious stories this should be on your I must try this out. Kurtis Wiebe here teamed with Tess Fowler is exploring the background of Hanna, her sorcerous training and the problems with her family and the school she apparently was not so loved by. Tess's pencils being a more cartoonish style to the books after Sejic but the colours by Tamara tie all the disparate art styles together pretty well and keep the same feel. This is a fantasy adventure book that is not afraid to be both serious, adult and fun too....

 

Black Magic #3 $3.50

Most magical reality stories play by a self determined set of rules; this book is one of the few that has the input of actual practioners of Magic as creative staff and consultants. Black Magick is also one of the most real and grounded looking books because of the art style and the colour palet that they are choosing to use. It's a police procedural set in a fictional city in Oregon and may just benefit a bit by the fact that Greg Rucka is a Portland resident and well there is also that show Grimm that has a soft place in my heart. Nicola Scott's art is the element that made me get the first issue and actually still has me thinking about getting the magazine version to see it just a bit bigger. Greg Rucka writes greats great character and even better does noir like few do in comics do so well if that is your thing this is your book to check this week....

Rumble #10 $3.50

John Arcudi's modern day monster story is unlike his work on the Hellboy/BPRD books as the stakes are not the apocalyptic ones that I enjoy so much there with Lovecraftian overtones but personal local and immediate making Rumble really it's own thing. The last several issues have introduced some complexities with new characters and fall out from some of the past violence that out sword bearing hero participated in. This is a book that seems to be as much about the cost as much as it is about the adventure. It's not at all the book I thought it was and that is such avoid things to be surprised. This ends the current story arc so it may just not be the best jumping on point but by all means this is a book to jump on to.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment