Wednesday, October 10, 2012

DC the New 52.....

After a year of sampling the new 52 titles and getting a feel for the New DC I have come to some conclusions.

I will first say that not having an income for the last two years my sampling is no where near complete but is wide ranging....

Overall my impression.... The major characters; by that I mean the biggies are nearly unrecognisable and inconsistent at best. Green Lamtern was the best if the old because it gave us a new lead character, Sinestro. He was conflicted, motivated and dynamic character motivating the character around him and pushing the story along because I'd his desires. Once he was pit of the spotlight and Hal was more or less back my interest faltered. I will also say I'm An old Hal Jordan fan.

The portrayals of the majors in Justice League fall all kinds of flat to me. As a Teen Titans fan from waaaaay back the treatment of Cyborg bugs me. Vic Stone was a fanorite of mine and he seems so flat and lifeless much like everyone else in the title.
Now after all that negative here is my thoughts on the good stuff.

The third tier...

Frankenstein and the Agents of Shield is very much the new Starman or Resurrection Mam( ala the 90s) with crazy cool storytelling and creative use of the tropes of the superhero genre. Another title that plays fast and fin with the aspects of the genre is Demon Knights which is contending with Frankenstein for my #1 title. Paul Cornell keeps me entertained and maintains my connection to the DC of the past that I live though it references the 30th century(another of my life long loves; the LSH). Paul includes the greats of the B list like the Demon and the Shining Knight.

I know that Batwoman and Batgirl (by the great Gail Simone) are excellent but I've avoided the bat family like the plague because if well my no money probelm. I loved OMAC and was saddened at it's loss thought I bought all the issues in the day of sale. About the only main line title I still like is Green Lantern...

I like the new GL Simon Baz; I think he is a great new addition and look forward to more. I think that throwing this new hero right into not one but two crossovers in one season is so wrong. We barely know Simon and now he has to share his story with so many cardboard cutouts with as less personality as the Spock standee Sheldon received in the Big Bang Theory (I love the Z Quinto Spock and refer to the actual cardboard cutout....)

The New 52 was a chance to push the envelope and by and large in my opinion as it is was wasted. We lost Secret Six, JSA, JSA confidential, thenew different JLA and the new Barry Allen Flash. ....

Now I plan to pick up the I Vampire trade and issues as well as the JLD and Worlds Finest and like Earth 2. On the whole this is a show that benefits the character actors if the DCU, the Stephen Tobolowskys and the Martin Landos... Hail the character actors may your booka not be cancelled like OMAC and SGT Rock.....

I love the books I love but at three dollars I have to choose well and theE are my choices....

Batgirl
Batwoman
Demon Knights
Frankenstein
Earth 2
Frankenstein
JL Dark
and maybe Worlds Finest...

The rest fall too far below the cut....

I'll be looking to Image and Marvel to find more good stories in the pulp genre I love...

I miss my Flash, my Legion of Superheroes and Secret Six... Mulls JSA, Infinity Inc and Titans are lost in the pre crisis universe along with the outsiders warlord, amethyst and the like....

support the books you love but give the lesser books a look the stories are deeper.... but hey that's possibly just me....

monsters rule....

No comments:

Post a Comment