Wednesday, September 13, 2017

NCBD September 13, 2017 aka my Comics Pull List

Hello, and welcome to me slightly late new comic book day Pull List post for September 13th. I've been working on a long post summing up my memories of Rose City Comic Con which was as always an amazing time and among other comic related commentary writing I have had to wait in finishing this post. Every weeek I put together this list with the intent to keep to around twenty dollars but often go over. I try to spotlight books that might get overlooked in the flood of good comics out there right now.

 

Mister Miracle 2 $3.99

I'm a bit of a fool for Kirby's Fourth World and the first issue of Tom King and Mitch Gerards' Scott Free story delivered a emotional punch in the gut I was not expecting. The first issue of Mister Miracle presented a a Scott Free I have not seen before really. Scott supporting loss and trauma to the point of making a possibly very permanent decision. Kirby's characters depicted by an artist who goes towards realism are pretty damn physically impressive, particularly Barda, and Mitch can communicate real pathos with his facial expressions. I'm not sure where Misters King and Gerards will head but I'm happy to pay for the ride to see this story.

The Realm 1 $3.99

I nearly went and bought one of the $10 Realm convention tour cover at RCCC last weekend and a part of me regrets not doing it but I decided to wait for this week. Nick Filardi who is coloring it was the first one I heard mention the book months back on the Girl with the Curls podcast(here). I'm a sucker for cool sounding genre mash-up concepts and fantasy by way of Mad Max Fury Road is what I'm hoping for here. Seth M Peck is someone I have yet to read but I heard lots of good about Saints and I know I dig Jeremy Haun and Nick Filardi's artwork so I'm sure it will be worth giving a shot. The character designs, particularly the masked woman that makes my think Phantom of the Paradise, are very appealing so yeah it's money spent. If your thinking about it listen to this podcast with Jeremy Haun.

Sacred Creatures 3 $3.99

Klaus Janson and Pablo Raimondi's mystical/occult modern crime story had been a real gorgeous book to look at and it's been a solidly intrigueing read. This issue I think will start to being in the historical flashbacks which will be drawn by Klaus Janson and reveal more about the supernatural nature of the characters in this story. I was initially interested because of the podcast i heard with Klaus talking about their plans for the book. It's a book that really oozes depth and richness in art and backstory. I'm curious what this first story arc will tell us.

 

 

Redlands 2 $3.99

This book had my money pretty much at Jordie Bellaire, Vanesa Del Rey and Clayton Cowles as they are a team I'd trust to deliver a great book. They delivered a book that appeals to the angry frustrated person inside me. One of the characters in the book said, "...rather it (the town) was run by monsters rather then murders.". It a book that starts with a group of witches killing the white good'ol'boy cops who have been running the town. It was cathartic and at the same time it was a nightmare.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment