Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Wanted Dispatch April 26 2017 aka my Comics Pull List

Welcome to my weekly look at the comics that I'll be picking up. I put these together to share some of my thoughts as to why I choose these to support out of all the great books coming out. I do try to keep this list to a manageable twenty dollars but I don't often manage to as there are books I'd love to support or try to signal boost for that take my list beyond that.

 

Jem the Misfits 4 3.99

Kelly Thompson and Jenn St. Onge's Jem the Misfts has been such an really unexpected joy to read. Kelly I knew would deliver stories that I would enjoy and would likely be heartfelt but I didn't expect to get the stories we have gotten so far and am exited to get the remainder of this look at the Misfits we know the least Roxy and Jetta. This book should honestly rock and somehow between Kelly Jenn and M Victoria Robado it full on does just that.

Quantum Teens Are Go 3 $3.99

QTAG is the spiritual soul sister to Magg's other title Kim&Kim; its just and tightly plotted and charmingly written. Nat and Sumesh have made a working time machine out of the parts they liberated from defunct tech companies. In the wake of that strange non-corporeal entities have been popping up and issue two ended with them capturing one. This book is as much about being friends as it is about weird science punk maker societies. QTAG is a reminder of how good a writer Magdalene Visaggio is too and it's making me want the second Kim and Kim series sooner then July when it's slated to arrive.

Doom Patrol 6 $3.99

Oh my god the last issue, damn the last issue, I didn't think I'd be quite so moved by a Doom Patrol comic. Yes it took a full five issues for this weird fiction comics ride to hook me but count me as hooked for sure now. DC's Who's Who series and the connection to Changeling in the original New Teen Titans were my entry into the Doom Patrol story. I've been consistently interested in these hard luck heroes across numerous incarnations; I can say this weirdness certainly compares well with my memories of Grant Morrisons era and well Grant never managed to make me tear up so...

Steven Universe 3 $3.99

Steven Universe will be on my list for many reasons; I love the show and the characters, a few episodes have honestly made my jump for joy and other cry, and this book is by Melanie Gillman and Katy Farina. Really both of these creators should be on your collective radar if you love comics that push boundaries. They do such justice to this series and its players.

MoonGirl and DevilDinosaur $3.99

If I were to spotlight any Marvel book this week Moon Girl is the one I have to choose. Amy Reeder's Rocket Girl is sadly probably never to return but this is a solidly good replacement for that fun crazy science fiction book. I can't see why Marvel thinks it needs to Bering back it's A game when they have books like this illustrated by Natasha Bustos and Tamara Bonvillain and Unbeatable squirrel Girl by Ryan North and Erica Henderson

 

Bitch Planet 10 $3.99

This week would not be complete without Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine De Landro's biting satire of our sick modern world in Bitch Planet. Where other books I get I am honestly using to escape the BS being committed daily by the patriachal authoritarian ass leading the US no pew this is the book that I get to remind me to fight it. Everything about this book makes it a must have especially the back matter and I'm never angey when it's late, it's just that well crafted.

 

 

In addition this week There's Nothing There 1, The Old Guard 3, Wonder Woman 21, and Batman The Shadow 1

 

No comments:

Post a Comment