Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Dead-wood pull list Feb 11 2015

 

Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier #5

If you have not seen me go on about how good a title I think this is on my comics blog well you may just be dropping in for the first time. Between this title and Secret Avengers Ales Kot has pretty much defined for me what super hero super spy comics are refineing the genre created by Kirby and Steranko. In this first story arc we have been introduced to a new cosmic culture an alternate or a future Bucky man once on the wall and been treated to some marvelous painted and conventional comics art. The last issue ended on the point of a rather bloody blade and I expect that this one will lean more towards violence and bloodshed given Crossbones arrival. With such writers as Ed Brubaker, Jason Latour and Rick Remender having worked on his story Ales Kot has done an incredible job making the character all his own. Pretty mush my favorite male marvel character these days...

$3.99

Guardians 3000 #5

Back in the day when the official handbook of the marvel universe was first out I got my first introduction to the Guardians of the Galaxy their story and characters I was always interested in seeing more of like Nikki who appeared at the end of issue 4. Dan Abnett loves to play with alternate versions of existing characters and though I have only picked up the first issue and was not hooked in by it I keep looking at this book for him and the cool art by Mr. Sandoval. Guardians 3000 would be in my normal pull list if it was a dollar less a month or if there were more comics at 2.99 rather then a full dollar more; its a great looking book and a pretty good read but I think it will read better in larger doses. $3.99

 

 

Hexed #7

Michael Alan Nelson and Dan Mora have been delivering some of the best urban fantasy around in my opinion since issue one. The mythos that Nelson created derives from the weird fiction tradition of HP Lovecraft, and the art of Dan Mora has the kind of energy and kinetic feel that I get from really great Japanese manga. Its a caper story that is dressed up in the best urban fantasy weirdness the unlimited budget that comics provides. If the old great weird horror comics of vertigo like Doom Patrol, Preacher or if Hellboy and BPRD is not enough Lovcraftian pulp adventure every month you absolutely have to look at Hexed. Really... $3.99 and well worth it.

All New Ghost Rider #11

This is the best follow up to the last choice, its not as gonzo cool as Hexed but its pretty great to have a good horror comic at Marvel and the Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider is something I've been enjoying quite a bit. This last story arc as it will be rolling to an end soon is being both drawn and written by Filipe Smith who is one of the few western comic creators to have been published in Japan. There are aparently great plans for the character in the future with the impending Secret Wars so I have hopes that this is not the swan song for either the character and for Smith. He's heen having a great amount of fun subverting the tropes and history of the Marvel universe and its been a very approachable new view on the darker side of the house of Lee Kirby and Ditko. $3.99

 

Shutter #9

Joe Keating won me as a fan once I sat down and read through the Complete Glory which was the best Wonder Woman book I had read since the old George Perez run in the eighties, Shutter introduced me to my new favorite artist in Leila de Luca with this Indiana Jones by way portal fantasy and its fantasticly varied cast of humans and anthropomorphic characters.... its another of the books that my prolonged absence from my FLCS is making me anxious to return to read my books. Joe and Leila push the creative storytelling envelope a whole to in this book and I'm always intrigued to see the opening two pages of the book as well as the funny back up features... $3.50

 

And that really does it for my weekly twenty dollar budget... This week also sees the new issue of the Resurrectionists which just may take the place of Guardians 3000 in the long run... Take care ...(I'm pretty sick at the moment)...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment