Wednesday, October 11, 2017

NCBD October 11, 2017 aka my Comics Pull List

Hi and welcome to my weekly look at the place I'm spending my comic book money this week. I do try to keep these things to twenty dollars and well this time I'll be breaking the budget. I will note that in addition to these Dark Nights Metal 3 will also be in my pile because it's been so bonkers.

 

Mech Cadet Yu 3 $3.99

I managed to get the first two issues of this Boom series at RCCC and thoroughly enjoyed Greg Pak and Takeshi Miyazawa's take on the teen mecha pilot/friend genre. The books comes off totally heartfelt and genuine as does it one time teenjanitor come mecha pilot hero Sanford Park. There are several stories already brewing in Greg Pak's world including a human plan to build their own mecha somehow, the possibility of another alien invasion and the story of a protective mother trying to protect her only child. As I said the book has a lot of heart and I'm hoping my local shop can stilll get copies of this issue.

Redlands 3 $3.99

Jordie Bellaire and Venessa Del Rey have delivered on the promise of a book that pushes boundaries and people's buttons in this book. They have given up a witch lead coup that took Colton of the town of Redlands Florida from the corrupt cops that were running it. In issue two they come up against a serial killer who knows good and well what they are and are pushing their buttons. It's a beautifully dark book both in style and in story and I'm looking forward to where it's heading. It's giving much more the. What I had expected and I had high expectations.

Family Trade 1 $3.99

Justin Jordan has written a couple books that I've dug and the combination of steampunk, alchemy and a family drama involving thieves and assassins make me pretty intrigued. The art by Morgan Beem has a feel to it that is all itself and it's pretty damn appealing to me. It's a book that stars a female protagonist and it's visually storytold by a woman so I'm in for a few issues to see if it's my kind of thing.

Mister Miracle 3 $3.99

Ok I must ask did anyone expect that the new Mister Miracle would be a book about mental breakdowns and PTSD and be in current continuity. It's got all the crazy creative spirit of Jack Kirby and is somehow equally grounded and palpably real in that at its heart is not about being a god or a superbeing. Mitch Gerards is turning in some gorgeous and mind bending storytelling pages behind those pretty Nick Darringtion covers. It's totally my thing in the same way the Young Animal books and the upcoming Magdalene Visaggio and Sonny Liu book announced at NYCC are my kind of thing.

Michael Cray 1 $3.99

Didn't think I'd be picking up a Michael Cray (Deathblow) book but I am and I blame you Warren Ellis. This spin off of his Wild Storm series is being written by Bryan Edward Hill who does action adventure in a way that it's always worth the $3.99 cover price. The one time IO operative, read assassin, has gone independent to run his own operation with the backing of another mysterious organization, the cover by Dennis Cowan and Bill Seinkiewicz doesn't hurt. The other thing mentioned in the solicitation ofOliver Queen...and no so much the current DC Green Arrow but a Oliver created by Ellis as this is all from his creative pen. Curiosier and curiouser.

Atomahawk 1 $5.99

Danny Coates is a name I been seeing and hearing as a writer to check the hell out and after reading Godland issue 1 he seems pretty worth a look or two. This story originally ran in Heavy Metal and is now running as a strip in Image+ and the first was rather brilliant and twisted. The story is wild weird sword and sorcery and based on the few pages in Image+ it's full on something up my alley. It's somewhere between Elric and Conan and that is cool with me. Might be a good companion piece to Godland.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment