Wednesday, October 4, 2017

NCBD October 4 2017... aka my Comics Pull List

Hi and welcome to my weekly look at the books I'll be putting my hard earned money behind and supporting the amazing creators that made them. I try to keep these lists to around twenty dollars and somehow I'm really close this time around unless I succumb to the temptation to buy the Batman White Knight book among other tempting pretty things on the shelf.

 

 

Kim and Kim Love is a Battlefield 3 $3.99

Kim &a Kim Love is a Battlefield has fully lived up to and exceeded my expectations for the team of Magdalene Visaggio, Eva Cabrera, Claudia Aguirre, Saam and Rex. The plight of the forever broke hard-luck friends on a bountyhunting mission has taken a new turn as the stresses of their life cause a huge fight between the Kim's. This is the kind of comic I adore the ones where the meat of the story is the relationships and that take a good long time to read and digest. Mag's and her crew gave the girls time to develope and change between the series and though they are older and more experiences wisdom is still outside their grasp. I'll follow their stories as long as the girls will tell them and the book will always top my list where it comes out.

 

Motor Crush 7 $3.99

The last issue of Motor Crush illustrated by Cameron Stewart and colored by Babs Tarr was an intertesting look back into Domino's past and is promised to affect the story going forward. We now skip back to the story two years after Dom's disappearance and the world that developed without her. I'm really unsure of what Brendan Fletcher Babs Tarr and Cameron Stewart are doing but it still tickles that Speed Racer and manga fan in me.

Paper Girls 16 $2.99

There are many things I love about Paper Girls but I think even if I wasn't getting it, this Gundam/Votoms looking cover would have made me take a peek at it. Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chang and colorist Lee Loughbridge have been telling the stories of this handful of PaperGirls since before Eighties nostalgia wasn't cool and have thrown them across time in a world destined to be broken by timetravel. This book is gorgeous and heartbreaking in a way that only these creators can manage. To all that you add the fact it's one of the few titles coming in at $2.99 still it's a must bloody have book.

 

Extremity 7 $3.99

Daniel Warren Johnson actually overloaded my tolerance for violence (and I was a fan of Fist of the NorthStar in the original Japanese) for a minute and I missed two issues of Extremity, I now I really regret it having gone back and read the entire Artist arc in trade format. It's a marvelous look at the fallout of the thirst for revenge and unmoderated violence. I loved the portrayal of Shilo, Thea and Rolo across the fullness of the arc and wound up being equally terrified of their father as I am of the opposing family. Reading this reminds me of reading the Naussica manga collections. The art it rich deep and deceptively beautiful without glorifying violence.

Elsewhere 3

Elsewhere 1 was an exiteing and pretty compelling read and I have no excuse as to why I have yet to read issue 2 a month into owning it. I can say I'm still very curious about this portal fantasy that Jay Faerber is telling and I'm pretty sure that this will be in my buying pile come Friday. I'll update when I have read issue 2 which I'm planning to do tonight.

 

 

Rocket Girl 10 $3.99

This is the issue where Amy Reeder and Brandon Montclare bring it all home with this story arc and tie up some of the storylines that have been brewing since issue one' s plunge into the 1980's with Dayoung and her attempt to prevent some of the screwed up things in her pretty bright and happy future compared to our bleake and depressing reality here in the ugly 2017 of the real world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment