Wednesday, October 18, 2017

NCBD October 18, 2017 aka my Comics Pull List

Hi and welcome to my look at this weeks new comics releases and what I'm for sure going to be picking up or have on my pull list. This is a brilliant week of books and there are a few that I have been looking forward to to since before their actual solicitation. I try to keep this list to around twenty dollars but this week I'm pretty sure that will not be happening very easily.

 

Kill Lobotomy 1 $3.99

Thought the name's Peter Milligan, who's Shade was one of favorite books in the ninties or Shelly Bond, who edited many of the books I loved, may have made me notice Kid Lobotomy Tess Fowlers art made it a must have months before the solicitation appeared. Tess is someone I had been following on social media before her abbreviated run on Rat Quens. Her art style and design esthetics really click with me, she's got just the right amount to weird and twisted humor to balance out a horror story like this. Kid Lobotomy's elevator pitch says it's Kafka meets King Lear hut knowing it's Milligan I'm pretty sure it's will the just the right amount of messed up strange to really hit me in my storytelling sweet spot with Tess providing the storytelling art. If I could may get one book this week this would doubtlessly be the one.

 

The Realm 2 $3.99

I blame the podcast That Girl With the Curls and her conversation with colorist Nick Filardi fo me getting interested in this book. Yes it's right in my wheelhouse storywise being post apocalypse where the apocalypse was magic rising in earth. It's Mad Max Fury Road meets Thunder the Barbarian with a witty dark sense of humor if issue one s any indication. Loved the hell out of issue one and as my FLCS ran out I asked Books with Pictures in Portland OR to send me one and it was well worth the price of the book with postage. Jeremy Haun's art colored by Nick Filardi is really worth a look if sword and sorcery adventure fiction is at all your thing. It's vusualy Lazarus meets D&D in all the best ways, also I can't pass up a book with an enigmatic masked character in it.


Jem the Misfits Infinite 3 $3.99

If anything I've enjoyed Kelly Thompson and Jenn St Ogne's Misfits book more then I have enjoyed Jem and the Holograms and I'm going to kiss their interpretation of the girls. Kelly Thompson has done a wonderful job of of making all the women in these books fully realized characters with lives problems and stakes all their own. I'm sad to see the end of her and Jenn St. Onge's run come to an end even if there is the promise of an anthology books still on the menu. Thank you everyone who's worked on this amazing lovely book.

 

Bitch Planet Triple Feature 5 $3.99

The Bitch Planet anthology that has shown us other corners of this dark satiric dystopia story comes to an end this week as another trio of creative teams tell they teases of woe. Though this signals that soon we will have the main series from Kelly Sue Deconnick, Valentine De Landro, Kelly Fitzpatrick and Clayton Cowles back soon these other takes on the evil patriarchy, that the real world resembles all to uncomfortably now, are really not to be missed. This issue features Matt Fraction, Elsa Charretier, Jon Tsuei, Saskia Gutekunst, Nyambi Nyambi, Bassey Nyambi and Chris Visions. Triple Feature comes with all the amazing backmatter features that makes Bitch Planet such a deeply valuable title.

 

 

Maestros 1 $3.99

I'm going to blame listening to the Geek Out podcast for making sure I'll be taking a look at Steve Skroce's project from Image. Go ahead and listen to the interview here if your thinking about thei book but be warned you'll likely be hooked into it too as the interview is pretty entertaining. Reading about the book it looks like it will appeal to fans of novels like the The Magicians, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, and Harry Potter might just be the perfect audience. BKV is endorsing the book as a "masterpiece" and knowing his art I'm sure it's going to look absolutely brilliant.

In addition to these Descender 25, The Wildstorm 8, SuperSons 9 and Sherlock Frankenstein 1 will be in my pile of books....and I neatly forgot the Frankenstein police procedural...Made Men 2 comes out this week too.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment