Wednesday, November 15, 2017

NCBD November 15, 2017 aka my Comics Pull List


NCBD November 15, 2017 aka my Comics Pull List


Hi there and welcome to another week of my list of books that are likely to break my comics budget. I often try to keep this ever growing list to a manageable twenty dollars. Some weeks I come close others well it’s a real list cause. On with the show…
The Realm 3 $3.99
Seth M Peck Jeremy Haun and Nick Filardi’s bang up fusion of Post Apocalypse(read Mad Max Fury Road by way of Thundarr the Barbarian) and adventure gaming tropes.  This is one of those times where the creators behind a full on crazybook that is a frappe of so many things I love have produced a story that delivered above my expectations. It’s the kind of book that makes me want to role play again as it toys with the tropes and stories that remind me of when I had a regular gaming group. The interactions between the characters reminds me of the feeling that your companions are possibly more dangerous then the monsters around you.  It’s a added bonus that the art by Jeremy Haun is and Nick Filardi is so damned nice to look at.
Fence 1 $3.99p
Sports manga has seldom been my thing but there is the occasion that it is and Fence is just such a comic. I enjoyed the years I spent fencing in colleg even if it was only fencing classes and I like the look of this book.C S Pascat is an internationally published Australian YA author  who has plans to tell a story akin to Yuri On Ice  and the Canadian Comic Check Please that have queer characters but it’s not about or lampooning being queer. The  art and character designs by Johanna the Mad is all  really rather appealing to me so I’m in for this Boom title.
Wildstorm 9 $3.99
It just occurred to me that Jim Lee is pretty much lettign Warren Ellis do the same kind of thing reimagining the Wildstorm setting that Rob Leifeild has done with Glory, Prophet and most recently Youngblood. In this book Ellis is taking a very decompressed approach to…he’s re-building the mythology of Wildstorm taking what was there in a very different and non-spandex hero direction. Like Brandon Graham his approach is something other then the usual suspects of American comics. The art by Jon Davis Hunt also happens to be pretty in a kind of approach to realism kindof way. It’s Wildstorm by way of 2000AD and Japanese manga(in terms of decompression)

East of West 35 $3.99
I have drifted into and out of picking up East of West by Hickman, Dragotta  and Martin to them get drawn back into t when I read the collected editions via hoopla.  I realized that like Wildstorm that East of West is a much more decompressed story them most and in actuality I really enjoy this book.  Hickman’s take on the end times clicks well with me and the storytelling team of Nick Dragota and Laura Martin deliver some brilliant pages. Dragota’s approach to their pages seem inspired by his appreciation of manga and his character designs are a treat.
It’s possible I might keep to my budget but it’s also likely get Super Sons 10, Batman who Laughs, Retcon 3 and Dark Fang 1 …. any love the look of this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment