Wednesday, November 8, 2017

NCBD November 8, 2017

Hi, welcome to my weekly look at the books that I’ll be supporting this week. I try to keep this list to twenty dollars or there about and I just may be able to do that given that this week I have to rely on my Pull List as I can’t get by my FLCS till after next Wednesday. 
Kid Lobotomy 2 $3.99
Peter Milligan, Tess Fowler, Lee Loughridge and Bidkar full on deliveredon the promise of disturbing weird storytelling in issue one. Kid’s origin story was just the right combination of compelling and chilling touching on the edges of taboo reminding me of the Vertigo titles of old. Kid Lobotomy issue one shows all the makings of being a great weird ensemble horror having introduced an interesting pretty and strange background cast. As a flagship book it’s set the standard for the Black Crown Imprint pretty high. So yeah, tops my list for the week. 
Coyotes 1 $3.99
Sean Lewis (The Few, Saints) and Caitlin Yarsky’s real world and grind house revenge  horror lycanthrope tale grabbed my attention months ago when I saw the lovely art and the solicitation text. In the image+ interview Sean Lewis and Caitlin Yarsky talked about the inspiration for this story about women and violence coming from movies like Kill Bill, Near Dark, No Country for Old Men and The Howling while also building up a story linking the human smugglers called Coyotes to literal lycanthropes. Their planned story for their hero Red quest for vengeance touches on the real world stories of the mass dissapearacences of women in and around Juarez Mexico and the predatory nature of the human traffickers in the deserts along the border. 
Redlands 4 $3.99
This is a dark dark book and I don’t just mean it’s color pallet which I are and moody and draws you into the page. Jordie Bellaire and Vanessa Del Rey have created a dark sister book to Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott’s witchcraft police procedural Black Magick. Redlands is a book that is mad the the status quo and like Bitch Planet is unfaraid to be open about just how angry at the patriarchy it really is.  I love the different approach to storytelling and page layouts Vanessa Del Rey brings to the book. In some ways I think this book is more my kind of police procedural then Black Magick is.
Mister Miracle 4 $3.99
I may not be enjoying much of Tom Kings take on Batman but his homage to Jack Kirby here I’m really enjoying. I’m also taking the opportunity to reread th and four issues in on Kirby’s original issues I can see where King is coming from and the odd parallels he’s drawing. Speaking of dreaming the storytelling being delivered on Mitch Gerads part is top notch, his use of the none panel grid and panels layered with distortion make for a really unique reading experience. Mister Miracle is a book that in my opinion really asked for the readers active participation in reading it. I hear people praise Sheriff of Baghdad by this team and I think it’s got to be fully deserved is this book is any example .
Port of Earth 1 $3.99
Image has been my go to place for good science fiction comics for a couple years now...at least since I dictovered Prophet and I’ll usually give a new one a shot if my budget allows. Zack Kaplan (Eclipse) and Andrea Mutti (Star Wars, Prometheus) are the creative minds behind this book and I have heard great things about Eclipse which I missed out on initially. The set up for Port of Earth is a bit reminiscent of the 2000 AD title Grey Area with a bit of a  a spy story angle if I read the solicit correctly as they are calling it a sci-fi action thriller. (The Nick Dragotta cover looks amazing )
And yes I’m getting a copy of Batman the Lost because the main Metal Story has been bonkers and I’ve been digging it.

No comments:

Post a Comment