Monday, April 20, 2015

Dead-Wood Comics Dispatch April 22 2015

The Comics Dispatch is my weekly column looking at what will be among the books I actually will be purchasing this week. I try to keep to an actual budget of twenty dollars though its not often I keep to it given how many good books there are nowadays but that is the aim. Each week I start with my choice for which one I would get if only get one and I follow the pull list with a suggested collection or original graphic novel for those who don't do periodicals...

So without much ado... if I could only get one... This wee I would choose..

 

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #4

I'm a relative newbie to the Adventure Time / Steven Universe / Lumberjanes kind if books but am so well charmed by the depth of breadth of storytelling going on there. Ryan North (writer of the Adventure Time comic among other great things) and Erica Hernderson (who's art is a fresh treat compared to much of superhero fare) have taken Doreen Green who is oft played for laughs in Marvel books and well play her for much better laughs in that we are laughing with her. Though this title is not for everyone its great to have a title that is both taking its characters pretty serious and willing to be crazy, chaotic, weird and above all funny and accessible. This issue seems to be a face off between our heroine her talking squirrel versus the devoured of worlds as the cover seems to imply. Its bright and fun and pokes fun at a genre that sometimes does kind of need it. Love this book. $3.99

.... If the next one was not shipping....

Jem and the Holograms #2

I was a teen is the eighties, MTV when it played music videos formed a lot of my musical choices at the time given radio was poor where I lived and though never a big Jem fan then I am now. Kelly Thompson did win me over along with the reason I bought it to be begun with Sophie Campbell's artwork and character designs. The first issue was a good deal of origin story so this is where the story will really get going the only thing I think is kinda missing is the music itself. This issue promises to introduce the antagonists for the story if you can call another band that as the Misfits grace the cover of this one. I very much love the soft coloring being one on this book and can't resist trying to spread the word about it. If I could only get one tis week I'd be speeding my $3.99 here....

Kaptara #1

Chip Zdarsky is involved in numerous projects; he's the artist on the wild and popular Sex Criminals that I really must catch up on and is writing the new adventures of Howard the Duck and this book is being drawn by the artist that did the book Infinite Kung Fu which was pretty damn great a couple years back. What does Kaptara promise well seems its a space mission gone horribly wrong landing our astronauts on a weird and dangerous planet which may pose a danger to earth itself. I think it will also promise some challenging characters and some very dynamic kinetic artwork given Kagan McLeod's comics pedigree. Chip is good at comedy both as artist and writer so I really don't know what to expect but I expect to be entertained. This week is a bit spar so the additional $3.50 is pretty doable.

 

 

 

And as for a collection suggestion... I'll keep to being a bit different this week...

Natasha Allegri's magical girl temp story fits the bill quite nicely. If anything I would compare this book to of all things Matt Fractions Hawkeye because the story is really not so much on the part of the "life we know". As Hawkeye shows us his and Kate's life when they are not along with the big gun superheroes Bee and Puppycat show the lives of a Magical Girl hero and her familiar, much like Sailor Moin and Luna, but what we mainly get is their down time as they do errands that get interrupted and when they have to clean up when their mission goes awry. The art has a real animation quality without being manga in atmosphere and the way the stories are told require attention that some more conventional superhero comics really don't expect. I'm finding I really like all ages books and this may be the one that captures your heart. $14.99 and in this week where if there is little for you it might be the time to try something like this too....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment