Wednesday, August 23, 2017

NCBD August 23, 2017aka my Comics Pull List

Hello, welcome to me weekly look at the books that will be in my buying pile come Friday. I try to keep this list to between twenty and twenty five dollars but well sometimes there are just too many books worthy of buying to keep to the budget.

 

Mother Panic 10 $3.99

Violet Page's story has made me interested in Gotham City again. She wears a costume but in many ways isn't a superhero in an American comics sense. Jody Houser, Tommy Lee Edwards, Shawn Crystal, John Paul Leon and Jean Francois Beaulieu's vision of this angry vengeance driven woman, mad at the world puts me more in mind of Japanese superheroes. Her fight is personal, her story has a real sense of tragedy loss and pain. She's closed off, alone and every so often shows a human need to connect. There may be all kinds of weird in this book like the other Young Animal books and yet somehow this book feels very grounded and real.

Heathen 5

Natasha Alterici's viking lesbian bad ass Aydis returns in a new adventure that started as she finds herself alone again. Natasha's near singular vision is going beyond its initial four issue crowd funded story into new territory across the very dangerous Northsea. Again I expect that this will be a uniquely creative look at Norse mythology with he same heavily inked dynamic art. If you have missed this as of yet the first four issues are in a really nice collection already.

Moonstruck 2 $3.99

Grace Ellis, Shae Beagle, Caitlin Quirk, McCubby and Cowles first issue of Moonstruck made a real lovely impression on me. I think I must have read it three times thus far and I'm still finding new little details I missed and the small stories hidden in the background. There is a subtle continuity to the art that suggests the care with which this book is being put together with. I think this may be one of those books that I will read cover to cover and may have an active backmatter community, or at least I hope it will become that kind of book. She Beagle spends a lot of her energy showing in the art and it's worth really sitting and looking at.

 

Grrl Scouts Magic Socks 4 $3.99

Jim Mahfood returned to his three punk girls from the late ninties series a couple months back. The last couple issues have reintroduced the violent punk/hip-hop graffiti inflruenced world where Daphane, Gwen and Rita have been leading a life of drugs and adventure and told the story of the magical socks that Daphane has stolen and has decided to keep. Ok yeah I'm an ish behind but I'm sure issue three was crazy gonzo weird and like all of them packed with bonus illustrations and soundtrack notes. The art may be an acquired taste but it's one I for sure have a bent towards.

Jem and the Holograms Infinite 2 (or story part 3) $3.99

This is actually issue three of this story taking the Jem storyline into a more weird technology kind of space. Kelly Thompson is joined by Jen Hickman for the rest of this series and it's a good choice as her art fits the line of great artists that have drawn the girls. I'm waiting till I have all the issues if this crossover in hand so I can't comment on the series other then to say I trust the teams behind this to create something fabulous to be a swansong for this cast of wonderful characters. (There is going to be an anthology series to come but this is the last Kelly Thompson jam with the girls of both bands.)

 

Black Hammer 12 $3.99

This is the issue. This is finally the story focusing on the titular character the Black Hammer and his daughter. David Rubin is coming back for this issue too and that is ever a lovely treat. Will we get to see what happened ten years ago where the crisis took all these characters away from their superhero setting. Will we see the relationship between father and daughter. Who knows. All I can say is that Jeff Lemire knows how to tell a marvelous super hero tale that needs no exposition to explain its characters or past. Black Hammer has been a joy to read and it's looking like well be getting more of it in the very near future. (Sherlock Frankenstein)

Catalyst Prime Incidentals 1 $3.99

It's the adult super-team book from the inheritor of the Milestone spirit. Joe Casey, Larry Stroman and Rob Stull are bringing us this new book. Larry Stroman is an artist I have loved for years from way back when he did the art for Alien Legion. As with all the Catalyst books this all spiraling out of a single event that changed the world. They are making books to appeal to lots of different readers and I'm anxious to see how this one reads.

I'm also likely to grab Teen Titans 11, Lazarus X+66 2, and the Manhunter Special....oh damn oops I forgot Hi-Fi Fight Club that looking like a great new book from boom

 

No comments:

Post a Comment