Wednesday, August 30, 2017

NCBD August 30, 2017 aka my Comics Pull List

Ah, a five Wednesday month so it's kind of a slow week or should be at least one when I'll keep to my twenty dollar budget. But again too many temptations to add to my pile as DC is celebrating the King's 100th birthday.

 

Kim&Kim Love is a Battlefield 2 $3.99

The fist issue of the new story proved that the team of Magdalene Visaggio, Eva Cabrera and Claudia Aguirre are a solid team as they delivered on the high promise of the first series. The new story has the Kims again financially just about to make it all come together when their hopes are again disrupted. This tine around its from a past romantic conquest who vanished from Kim Q's life and turns up to be a thorn in their side. The art is again a joy to look at and the story was smoothly told I fell right back into their crazy gonzo bounty hunting world.

The Blaack Racer 1 $4.99

This was the Jack Kirby celebration issue I knew for a fact I would pick up based solely on the creators mentioned. Reginald Hudlin Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz working on any Kirby creation was a big draw and the Black Racer is one of the more enigmatic figures in the pantheon of the king. Add to the promise of that story a number of original Kirby Pages and a page of tribute I'm full on in with this five dollar comic.

Justice League of America 13 $2.99

Last time I mentioned this Justice League team I waxed on about my memories of the old Gil Kane Sword of the Atom series and looking at the preview pages of this issue Steve Orlando looks to be obliquely referencing it. I love this group of characters as much as I used to dig Batman's team the Outsiders. Orlando is hitting that Mike Barr fan in me with these heroes. The amazing Ivan Reis continueing as artist dies not hurt either.

Black Magick 7 $3.99

Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott back on their creator owned book makes me pretty happy. I have not read issue six from last month yet but their mixture of police procedural and urban occult I have every faith in so I'll be supporting this and getting a double dose of the story soon. Nicola Scott is an amazing artist to turn out such beautiful art in such a short period of time.

 

Darkseid 1 $4.99

Monday the 28th would have been Jack Kirby's 100th so with his biographer and Evanier writing the lead story in this special it has to be in my buy stack. I have missed the weird that is the fourth would in my comics reading and even if these specials is all we get for a while I'll be happy with that. I'll leave it at that as so many others have said so much about the king recently.


Michael Avon Oeming is n acquired taste and I'll gladly break my budget this week even more to pick up this collection of his artwork. Oeming has been the artistic force being many of the books I've enjoyed for his Powers collaboration with Bendis through his Norse myth retellings, his crime stories, his Victories to his most recent work with Young Animal doing Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye. The book is $39.99 but it's oversized and hardcover and might look really good next to the Kirby King of Comics book I bought for my birthday just this Monday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment