Wednesday, August 16, 2017

New Comics Day August 16, 2017 Comics Pull List.

Hello and welcome to my weekly look at the comics I'm intending to pick up and think are worth attention for various reasons. I try to keep my it's to around twenty dollars but as there are so many good books around I often go over that...oh and this week I will be right up honest that in addition to my choices here I'll be buying Dark Nights Metal 1.

 

Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye 11 $3.99

With all the other weird things happening in the Young Animal books it's nuts to say but this is the one to top in the world of weird. Gerald Way and Jon Rivera with the artistic help of Michael Avon Oeming and Nick Filardi have taken Cave Carson his Chloe and Mad Dog underground and across dimensions in a stolen drill machine and that is the sane part. As I'm an issue behind looking at the preview only leaves me confused because so damn much happened in each issue of this nutso book. I have to thank the crazy Tom Scoli backup story for convincing me to go for the first issue.

Sandman 1 $4.99

I have to pick up this extra-priced issue to celebrate the 100th birthday of Jack the King Kirby. Sandman is one of his creations I think I first saw in Infinity Inc if memory serves me. This special is co written by Jurgens and Orlando so it'll have a solid story and Bogdanove on art just makes me so damn happy as he's someone I have enjoyed for years. The fact it will have some Kirby pages too is just an added bonus for me. If the majority of it is as good as the preview pages we're in for a good time.

The American Way Those above Those Below 2 $3.99

Honest here, I was sold after reading a couple pages of issue one as Ridley is doing to a serious take on superheroing in a complex political reactive world. I'll repeat something I heard yesterday via a podcast (wish I recalled which) about science fiction working best when it's telling a story about now. The conflicts these heroes and this world are going through reflect the struggle with racist sexist and political BS we're still fighting with. Jeanty, Miki and Filardi's immersive pulp artwork work to bring us into the story that would possibly be too real if presented another way.

 

Bitch Planet Triple Feature 3 $3.99

So I'll just say I'm a fan of the main Bitch Planet book by Kelly Sue Deconnick, Valentine de Landro and Kelly Fitzpatrick and this anthology is expanding the worlds subversive stories beyond the realm of the ACO and the mechanizations of the power structure that runs things. Its an anthology and this one features a story illustrated by Vanessa Del Rey among the three.

 

Green Arrow 29 $2.99

I've been behind the times of what is a great Green Arrow run by Benjamin Percy, Otto Schmidt and the amazing Juan Ferreyra. Issue 28 I picked up on a whim and his meeting with Lex Luthor and Superman was clever in many ways and one of the best Superman stories I've read in a long while. This issue continues Ollie's solo Hard Traveling Hero tale and heads into Gotham in his quest to put an end to the ninth circle. I was a big Green Arrow fan back around the time of Long Bow Hunters and I really like him again now in Percy's run. I'm going to have to pick up some trades I think.

Misfit City 4 $3.99

This is a damn cool take on the teen mystery stories by a creative team that remembers fondly the Goonies, Nancy Drew, Veronica Mars and Scoobie Doo fondly. This is another success from Boom Box as it's writers and artists are delivering a book that is fun and creepy and with a cast that look and act like a real group of friends, all kinds of bodies and personalities. The art is just cartoonish enough to draw you into this story about pirates and maps and a costal Oregon tourist town that seems all to familiar.

 

 

I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up Genius Cartel 1 and Horizon 13 also....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment