Monday, May 9, 2016

Comics Pull list May 11 2016

Free Comic Book Day looked to have some amazing events that went far beyond just stores paying for book for us fans to have on their dime and the haul of heat books was more then I could reasonable take. Went a wee bit overly twenty dollar budget last week given two visits to my FLCS so here's hoping I can keep some self control and keep myself to the list I put up here this time around. For the new here I post up a list of my actual pull list keeping to books I think get less word of mouth around me and ones I honestly love or expect to....

Island 7 $7.99

For those of us who love weird science fiction fantasy stories like me Island has been brilliant and I have to say I'm a huge fan of the diverse tastes of Brandon Graham and Emma Rios who curate this book. In seven issues they have already made it a magazine that has hit my wide ranging comic tastes more often then not and have introduced me to artists and stort telling I would not have known I'd love the hell out of. Yes the price is a stretch but if you like a true variety of storytelling Island is only the cost of two normal comics these days and delivers a massive page count by comparison without all the adds and the everpresent hype. It's pure comic from contents to back cover sometimes. Brandon and Emma choose stories from creators who have a variety of storytelling chops and who push boundaries that may just challenge some readers but I happen to enjoy having my eyes opened and like a bit of an existential quandary. It's one of the books I pick up without a bit of a flip through as I know it's worth my time and money.

 

Shutter 21 $3.99

Joe Keatinge and Leila Del Duca's collaboration in Shutter is a book I find ever satisfyingly surprising in story and in technique as the entire creative team push themselves on this book. Shutter is also one of the books that I would suggest not to trade wait for as the back matter community what correspond with Joe and Leila makes for good reading as well especially if your lacking in local comic reading friends like me at the moment. It's a book of globe and genre crossing adventure and family drama about a woman attempting to have a quieter life in a very fantastical world. Were I to measure other $3.99 books by my enjoyment of Shutter as a benchmark I would likely have an easier time keeping to budget as it is such a satisfying read cover to cover.

Ultimates 7 $3.99

Al Ewing is writing the best Avengers book at marvel these days (I have yet to get to last weeks A Force though) for my money and it's one that does not bear the A branding. Ultimates is the new Marvel FF title... go with me on this it's not a book about prejudice politics or the monthly superhero wrestling match it's a book about exploration of the boundaries of science reality and solving problems in honestly new ways. This is Marvels new cosmic book in my opinion and look on the covers alone says that with Galactus being a character over a force of nature and this one has got the cosmic bad Thanos himself. It's the marvel book to be reading now as Angela is gone....

Jem and the Holograms 15 $3.99

Sophie Campbell may have been the reason I started getting this but her collaboration with Kelly Thompson is the reason it's still in my list and makes it into the buy this week post. Ever since the mid eighties comics companies have done the retread of the Dark ...... filling the blank story to varying effect and given the huge cast of Jem this has been a brilliant story thus far. I don't recall much of the animated series or how deep they allowed the Misfits to become there but here I'm really becoming quite attached to all of them and particularly Pizzaz in this arc. It's a complex villain-less drama that so effectively creates a silent music experience. Applause is appropriate for the women that work on this book...

 

And though I have a few more titles to mention I have hit my twenty dollar limit...

Black Panther 2 arrives this week along with Southern Bastards 14 and 4001 XO Manowar special that promises a giant robot vs a space mecha dragon...so yeah gonna be over budget again... not to mention the collections coming out that I will hit later in the week...

So sorry Jem readers I'm wrong about that as it does not seem to be on the shipping list so....

Southern Bastards 14 $3.50

So I don't get this well received book all that often but I did read the initial collection and the promise of Tubb's daughter opening up a can of whupp ass on a bunch of deserving rednecks is appealing to me. I know there has been a lt of good storytelling in the interim that has expounded on the townies but well to make room for books I wanted to support I kind of stepped away from this... Anyway I'm hoping it will be cathartic....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment