Monday, May 16, 2016

Comics Pull List May 18 2016

So I'll start by with sending condolences to the friends, family and loved ones of Darwyn Cooke and say that I saw so many lovely posts about him over the weekend it's obvious he was much loved and respected. Go look him up is your unfamiliar as his work is a real joy to look at and well it's good to celebrate great artists. This is a slim week for me so sticking to my twenty dollar budget might be a possibility but I know I tend to go and try things when I have a chance... But the two regular books I get are pretty exceptional...

 

Mirror 4 2.99

Emma Rios and Hwei Lim's genre crossing book really is one that is hitting so many elements I love about comics. The story manages to be rooted in fantasy science and mythology all at once as so much of the story and imagery can reference any or all of the three. I still stand by my thoughts on it initially as the soft ethereal feel of the art makes a great partner to the work of Dustin Nguyen in Descender and the serious nature and themes am a and Hwei are touching on makes me think of Monstress. It's truly a georgous book and I'm happy to be back reading comics right now as there is so much to love. It's one of the books i love as it can be read on many levels including as a brilliant adventure starring human animal hybrids and talking animals who curiously bring to mind the creatures of myth.

Power Man and Iron Fist 4 $3.99

So the good deed that brought Luke Cage and Danny Rand back together is kinda, read full on, blowing up in their faces as their former employee becomes their new nemesis. So yeah the Heroes for Hire are so not getting back together like Luke told Jessica. David F Walker and Sanford Green are doing a band up, sometimes literally, with the new book starring these mis matched buddies and it's been a joy to get them back after so long. In the same way Ultimates is the best crazy cosmic title in Marvels stable this is the best book about freindship and doing the right thing. Honestly I have to ask if your not getting this book why not. Ok enough gushing it's a great read with pretty unique art and marvelous dialogue. No really it's the week to give this book a go.

 

And well outside my normal list there are a couple I will seriously consider...

Dept H 2 $3.99

Matt Kindt is the perfect person to write a murder mystery at the ocean floor. From MIND MGMT he has proved to be able to do drama, suspense and blend of weird fiction and thriller. I picked up issue one and a lark and given I have space to play this week I'm likely to pick it up as I enjoyed his set up and liked his fish out of water investigator searching for her fathers killer a one the only set of dubious suspects there are in this twist on a locked room mystery. Like Jeff Lemire Matt's art style is indosyncratically all him and I have to say the colors by hi wife Sharlene are pretty amazing and as clearly hers as his art is his. If your like me and can do with a bit of different this book is probably your man.

 

 

 

 

Goldie Vance 2 $3.99

So I picked up Goldie Vance 1 as it was just too good looking when I flipped through it and sadly have yet to give myself the time to read it. It's got that Nancy Drew, Veronica Mars Tin Tin kind of young clever investigator vibe and I have fond memories of the old Nancy Drew stories. So I can not say much more then it's got a very charming look to it kitschy and a bit Starman retro....

 

Spider-woman 7 $3.99

This Dennis Hopeless book is one I sadly passed on early on given budgets and I've picked up here and there and it's a pretty great book... It's even greater as Joelle Jones is doing a couple issues before returning to her book Lady Killer; she so well draws pretty without being exploitive... This issue also introduces Jessica's doppelgänger from Earth 66...

 

And that gets me right up to the edge of my twenty dollar limit...

 

Be good to each other and check me back tomorrow for a bit of collection reccomendation...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment